Friday, August 24, 2012

My top 3 cookbooks (that I own)

So, after being chastised twice in the same day by two different people for still having cinnamon rolls on the blog, I am updating this, but it will be brief.  Maybe.  I get a little talky sometimes.  Anyway, I thought I would make a couple of cookbook recommendations because these are such good and useful cookbooks in my house.

I have 3 favorites that are practical.  Well 2 of them are really practical and the other one is mostly practical.

1) The 150 best slow cooker recipes   I haven't cooked everything in this, but I'm just gonna tell you that everything I have cooked is wonderful.  And I have cooked a lot out of it.  If you like to use your crock pot, get this cookbook.

2) Williams -Sonoma Comfort Food  It's Williams-Sonoma, so it should be pretty self-explanatory, but as was true of the previous cookbook, everything I have made out of this cookbook is awesome.  I particularly love the corn fritters dipped in maple syrup, and the short ribs and polenta, and the shrimp scampi, and the carne asada, and the coconut cake, and the kids loved the sloppy joes and the spagetti  and meatballs.  I mean, you sort of can't go wrong.  I'm probably forgetting some of the other wonderful things that I love to make, frequently out of this.  BTW Laura, the corn fritters are the other thing I fry a lot besides okra in the tallow.  And by a lot I mean like once a month, maybe.  But that's a lot for me.

3)  Ad Hoc At Home  This one is Thomas Keller.  We've already established that I sort of idol worship him just a little bit, and this one isn't always particularly practical.  But it's always delicious.  Always.  And while we're talking about it, there was this GREAT article about the Pioneer Woman vs. Thomas Keller and this lady made the exact same meal out of both cookbooks.  You should read it. I can't summarize it and do it justice.

So there you have it.  My "go-to's."  Which probably shouldn't have an apostrophe, but I'm a little bit of a perfectionist at times and the spell checker didn't like it without the apostrophe.

We are in the midst of homeschooling and traveling, and birthdays, and all kinds of exciting things.  So this blog has sort of fallen to the bottom of the list of things for me to do.  However, I love having people over, and I love cooking, and I know lots of people who also love to do this, but I know lots of people who are afraid to do it.  So, if I can remember, I'm going to try to put down my recipes of stuff that I make when we have lots of people over.  Because I like to do make-ahead set your oven timer or crock pot type dishes, because they're easy.  But I also like making great food as often as possible, and so this can sometimes be a challenge.  I'm also going to try and make up a top-secret ice cream recipe for our ice cream cook-off in a couple of weeks.  I've been dreaming about this ice cream for like 2 days now and I can hardly stand waiting to make it.  So stay-tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment