Sunday, January 13, 2013

Something New for Breakfast

Every now and again, A.




will ask me for "something new for breakfast."  She is a breakfast kind of girl.  Actually, all my kids eat breakfast.  It's the only meal they eat reliably, so unless we're going somewhere I try to make it good.  In my normal rotation is:  french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs and bacon and toast, cinnamon rolls, smoothies (usually with toast or cereal on a day we're going somewhere), and oatmeal on Sundays.  Evidently, this got old.  So back in November, she asked.  So one day I made an apple dutch baby, followed the next day by these breakfast pizzas (which I actually enjoyed considerably, and they used up my cardboard gluten free english muffins), then scotch eggs a couple days later.  After the scotch eggs, and her not actually liking any of the new things, she said "you don't have to make anything new for a while." Thanks, sis.   But then again, last week, during our bedtime routine when they place their breakfast order for the next morning, she asked again.  So THIS time, I pulled out the pioneer woman.  It's not gourmet by any means, but kids like it. So I made marmalade muffins, not bad, everyone liked them, except I think I used more sugar (even though it was the real kind of sugar) than I think I used in the entire months of November and December combined.  So I won't be making that again anytime soon.  Next up was the Egg-in-a-hole.  Why have I waited so long to make this?  It was perhaps the all time easiest breakfast I've ever made in my entire life, and everyone loved it.  It's totally going to be added into the rotation.  I used cookie cutters for my "hole" because believe it or not, I don't own a biscuit cutter.  I think that may have served me well and made it an even bigger hit, we had a bear, cow, pig, and star for our "holes."




It was almost a failure when the yellow started running out of the eggs, because we like our eggs well done in this family, but when I told them it was a delicious sauce in the egg that they could dip their bread in, everyone brightened and perspectives changed.

Anyway, I have thought several times over this last week, how similar she is to me.  How many times do I look around my perfectly full life, blessed life, and say to God, "give me something new"?  I have been reflecting on the different ways this could be taken.

I guess there are several ways I could have taken it, like "mom, I love your cooking so much that I'm ready for whatever new thing you have in store for me."  I have, on occasion, thought that, in relation to the Lord's blessings; however I'm not sure I always really mean it, or at least I know I am a little afraid of what He could actually come up with, because one of the times I thought that, I had twins, and that whole pregnancy/bedrest/first year with twins thing wasn't exactly comfortable.  Not that I'm complaining, I am actually, in retrospect, grateful for the trial because on the other side of it now I can see how even that blessed me.

If I'm honest, I think that the first thing that came to mind was, the way I took my daughter's request, "what you are giving me isn't good enough."  Wow.  Am I that ungrateful?  Sometimes, yes.  And then He decides to show me how I'm acting, by holding up a little mirror in the form of my daughter. Sometimes that's what it takes for it to sink in.





No comments:

Post a Comment