Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Dinner tonight, or last night rather.

Even though I only had one person defriend me on facebook after that last post (that I know of anyway), I thought I'd keep this one light.

We have started eating leftovers once a week, and usually it's Tuesday. But we were running a little low on leftovers because we had eaten most of them for lunch; so when a friend of mine asked what we were having for dinner, I was pondering this very thing, and had decided I would probably make a quiche.  What I did not account for was that my crust was frozen solid and I hadn't thawed it out.  And given that we are in the midst of a polar vortex and my house was not much warmer than my freezer, it wasn't thawing on the counter.  So we had a kitchen sink salad, that ended up being such a hit I had to share it.  Actually, the main thing I was so excited about was the dressing, because it was fabulous.  I am a little obsessed with the avocado-lime dressing at Chick-fil-A, and a different friend had pinned this avocado dressing recipe, so I stole it, and then decided to post my little twist here because if you actually click on the picture in pinterest, a very obscene website pulls up, so I don't want any of you to do this and if I remember I'm going to go delete the pin so I need a record of this concoction somewhere.

The ingredients in our salad aside from the dressing were:  spinach, a few slices of deli ham sliced up, shredded monterey jack cheese, boiled eggs, tomatoes, carrots, sliced beef and mushrooms (the only leftovers we had left), the crumbs from an almost empty bag of tortilla chips, bacon, and I think that's it. There are so many other things that would have been awesome if we had had them, like corn, black beans, cucumbers, really a dozen or so things, but like I said, provisions were momentarily low and I didn't have time (read: energy) to go to the store.

Here's the dressing though:

Avocado-Lime Dressing:

1 avocado
2 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup plain kefir (you could use greek yogurt, which was what the original recipe called for and I was out)
1 tsp hot sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup cilantro

Blend all that stuff together.  Presto.

My kids hate avocado and every single one of them at this dressing and thought it tasted like a ranch.  I was happy that it was a homemade dressing without sugar and vegetable oil.  The kefir in it was just bonus.  Next time I might add just a smidge of cumin or cayenne to give a little more flare, but it was great just like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment