Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Cornbread (or corncake, depending on your definition)

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I hate to waste food.  It may or may not be a result of the "clean plate club" that if you know my brother you have heard about. Either way, sometimes when I have leftovers in the fridge, I will plan an entire meal around them.  Tonight was sort of like that.  I had about 1/3 cup of corn leftover from a few nights ago that was not going to get eaten unless I threw it in another dish, so I felt like we should have corn bread, because what else are you going to put 1/3 cup of corn in?  This evolved into, let's use those ham hocks in the freezer, and some dried beans in the pantry, because I need to make some space anyway.  I had sort of hoped to do something more elegant with the ham hocks, but sometimes practicality wins.  Anyway, so cornbread sort of planned the meal for us.

Problem is, I don't have a "go-to" corn bread recipe. I try something new almost every time and tonight was no different.  I found a recipe that called for cornmeal (go figure!) only to realize that all I had was grits.  So this led to a google search on what is the actual real difference between cornmeal and grits, where I discovered much to my delight that grits are just coarsely ground cornmeal. So after all that research I had to change almost every thing else about the recipe too, so here is what we ended up with.  I will make this every.single.time.  Everyone loved it.


3/4 cup grits
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
2 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup melted butter
3 small eggs (this is what I had.... if you use large I'd probably just use 2)
1 1/4 cup whole milk
and if you have 1/3 cup of leftover corn, just throw that in, too.


Mix the dry ingredients together, then mix in the wet ingredients.  I melted the butter in a 9X7 pan while I mixed everything else together, so my pan was already greased and ready to go once the butter melted.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Presto.  Cornbread/cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment