Sunday, February 8, 2015

It's that time of year!

The cooking officially started last week! I'm excited/nervous about this year just a little, because of the 7 dishes that we're having, 5 of them are new, and there are not nearly as many things that I am able to do in advance.  All this really means is that I'll be doing a lot more cooking on the actual day than normal, which means I have to clean my house ahead of time.  I hate cleaning.  I normally put it off until last.




We thought we would try to make it a little more "homesteady" this year, and use anything we could from our house.  The rabbits aren't quite big enough to serve yet, but I did save one butternut squash from the garden, and we have eggs (chickens finally went off strike!), and the rest of the dinner was sort of themed around that.





Even though the real fun stuff doesn't start until Wednesday (all I've really made so far is stock, and I started making kraut, because it's takes 5 days to finish), I had to share a super exciting find from Kroger a couple days ago.  As I previously mentioned we are serving eggs.  In egg cups.  I did not own egg cups until approximately 3 days ago.  I had been trying to figure out how we were going to serve these things without egg cups, and lo and behold the perfect number of these little things were on SALE in Kroger.  It was by far, the best $9 I have spent in a long time.  

Now I just need to practice my technique.  Pretty sure this is not gonna cut it.




We may be eating a few eggs for breakfast this week.






1 comment:

  1. so excited! you are amazing and creative. can't wait to partake:)

    ReplyDelete