Saturday, February 17, 2018

Failures

Sometimes all the following of directions in the world cannot prevent failure.  I have learned this recently while trying to master hollandaise sauce. I think I've gotten it right exactly once.  Thinking,  "whew,  that's done" after the one time I got it right,  I proceeded to screw it up the next time.  Still not a master. Leave it to hollandaise sauce. At least 4 of the 5 kids like, or tolerate,  eggs Benedict. The 5th one, the one whose name most closely resembles the name of the egg dish,  cries when I make it.  That's always encouraging.

Thankfully I did not have that kind of cheerleading when I failed on the pastry cream for dessert.  The directions say "bring to a boil,  whisking constantly,  and then cook for 2-3 minutes more to cook all the flour." I guess you're just supposed to intuitively know that the flour is all cooked or something.  Or maybe just mess it up real good the first time. At any rate,  you're supposed to be able to cut this after it chills. Like a biscuit,  I'm assuming.  This is what I have.


This folks,  is custard.  You cannot cut custard like a biscuit.  Certainly not FRY it.  Fortunately I discovered this this morning. I whipped up another batch and cooked it longer.  Because honestly that's the only thing I can even think went wrong here. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.  I threw the mess up batch in the freezer so if the second one fails, too, I'll figure out how to fry the frozen stuff.  It won't be pretty. But maybe it'll still taste good.  

I forgot to take pictures of most everything else, except the pineapple.  Which is also for dessert.  I figured I should record that for posterity.  Here is one picture of my attempt to make a pineapple look like a rack of ribs.

The table is ready.  

  
Every.Dish.In.my.china.cabinet is on the counter. 


Let's do this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment