Monday, February 19, 2018

Plating

I haven't had much time to type anything up about the dinner. Just know that it was quite delicious, and as I've stated before Thomas Keller is a genius. Here's what we had:

Lobster broth:

Clearly we liked it,  and I forgot to take a picture. We sipped it right out of these coffee cups.

Foie Gras with Pickled Cherries:

Pate on brioche croutons.  I am once again amazed at how duck liver does not have a liver flavor. It's smooth and delicious and lovely.

Haricots Vert with Tomato Tartare and Chive Oil.

This is a repeat, and a favorite. So easy and delicious.

Five-spiced Lobster with Foie Gras and a Poached Fig sauce.

Y'all. The sauce on this one:  Coffee, chocolate, Port, figs. Need I say more?

Mahon with spiced carrots

Another repeat, but any excuse to eat Spanish cheese is welcome.

Finally,  the most stressful dish. Pineapple chops with fried pastry cream and caramel sauce. 
The pastry cream worked the second time. 

But there wasn't very much pineapple left on the chop, so I was honestly a little disappointed in this one. I also did something wrong when I made the caramel sauce so it wasn't really a sauce. It was like butter with a chunk of really hard caramel in it. So it tasted alright, actually it tasted really good, but the presentation wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be and I'm pretty sure Thomas Keller would not leave you with chunks of caramel sticking in your teeth. The good news is, that since the pastry cream worked the second time, and I only needed six little discs for the dessert,  I was able to fry up all of the scraps and serve them to the kids for breakfast on Monday morning.
The Leftovers are always a bonus.

1 comment: