Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sleep Deprived

It should not come as a surprise to anyone that this is my current state.  I sat down a couple of nights ago and calculated how much sleep I was actually getting at night.  It's somewhere around 5 - 5 1/2 hours on a good night.  This explains why I could pass for the walking dead most of the morning.  I am not and never have been a person who could survive on little sleep.  I remember one time when I was in college, working full time waiting tables and going to school full time, that some friends came over and I was so dead asleep that they posed me into all sort of different pictures with them, sitting up, and I have no memory of it.  Well I'm not quite to that point yet, but almost.  I was thinking about that this morning because I got up around 6 ish to feed the babies.  Well this takes about an hour to feed, burp, change their diapers, etc.  Then I normally pump, but since it was Sunday morning, I had to get the kids ready for church.  So Ansley had come in to watch around 7 when I was wrapping up, and she was just talking my ear off.  She of course wanted to hold one of the babies, so I let her do that, and then Silas wanted to hold one, so he did that, and then it was time for breakfast.  By the time the kids ate and were dressed it was 8:15 or so.  I had not eaten, pumped, or obviously done anything with myself since I was staying home.  It was then that it hit me:  When I start going back to church, I'm going to have to wake up at like 5 in the morning.  The sad part is, that when this happens I guarantee I'll sleep through most of the service. After everyone left this morning, I finally ate and sat down to pump.  I fell asleep pumping.  This is not the first time this has happened, but fortunately, all the other times this happened someone has been here and noticed and made enough noise to awake me, but no one was here this morning.  So I pumped for like 45 minutes.  The only reason I woke up when I did was that Graham decided it was time to eat again and started crying. 

Having said that, I knew a while back that I would not be getting anything done around the house for a while after they both got home.  So I've just been making a list.  It's getting pretty long, but I feel better knowing that it's written down somewhere so I don't have to carry it around in my brain anymore.  One of the things on my list is to finish up thank you notes.  There is a separate list of people I need to write, and it's also getting pretty long.  If you have given me a gift or brought food or flowers or done anything thoughtful and have not gotten a note from me, your name is on this list. I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. This part was so hard for me...there were days I felt like I did not know myself. So I can not imagine what you are dealing with, with more little ones...I want you to know that you are in my prayers. It is a tough time...I am barely getting to the "better part." I hope you can find some rest, even if it is during pumping....

    ReplyDelete