Saturday, December 25, 2010

28 Weeks

Yesterday, I was officially 28 weeks pregnant.  This was the first major goal.  Evidently, the survival rate goes up drastically after 28 weeks and the health complications go down.  My goals from this point forward are in 2 week increments.  I had a WONDERFUL time going home.  I got to eat dinner with the family, read the kids their bedtime stories, say prayers.  And then being there this morning was great - seeing their reactions and just being around for all of the excitement.  It was a much anticipated event by all of us (although for different reasons).  Then a sweet, sweet friend made Christmas dinner for R and the kids, and R brought it to me here.  It was delicious.  Despite all of that,  I think the longevity of this stay started hitting me today. On the way back to the hospital, I realized that the next time I leave will most likely be after the babies are born, and that could happen anywhere from days from now to 9 weeks from now.  I sort of don't know what to mentally prepare myself for, even though I very seriously doubt it will be 9 weeks from now.  I do know one thing though, I have got to start fixing my hair while I'm here.  I have mostly just been letting it air dry and putting it in a ponytail.  It looks terrible.  I blew it dry today when I was at home and instantly felt better about myself.  I also put makeup on today for the first time in a week and a half.  It is amazing what something so superficial can do for your mood.  So, while I can't promise I'll do this every day, I am going to make it a point to try to make myself presentable at least when I get wheeled around the hospital, which should be happening every few days or so.  I'm also going to try to avoid the scale in the room next door to me.  After getting on it the other day, I was reminded why I don't own one of those awful things. Even though I have gained an obscene amount of weight so far (40 lbs to be exact and I'm sure I'll gain some more), after weighing myself, and then looking in the mirror, I felt as if my face looked like a cabbage patch doll. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sarah I am so glad you were able to go home for a little while. I bet you felt like you were kinda leaving your cage. We are doing a happy dance for you to make it to 28 weeks! That is a huge marker! We are so happy! I love you and I still pray for you all. Please keep posting..I love reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete